International artist and educator Joel Bergner was invited by the Cape Verdean government's cultural center, Palacio da Cultura (Palace of Culture) Ildo Lobo to create a series of public art projects exploring the culture and history of this West African island nation. Joel's artist residency included workshops with youth in at-risk communities, collaborations with local artists and cultural centers, exhibitions and presentations, and teaching mural art classes.


Friday, February 11, 2011

First mural project in Cape Verde is completed

My first mural in Cape Verde is located on the outside wall of the Amilcar Cabral Foundation in the center of Praia, Cape Verde's capital city. As always, I collaborated with locals to come up with images that would appropriately celebrate the country's history and culture. We choose the face and the words of the revolutionary hero of both Cape Verde and Guinea-Bissau, Amilcar Cabral, who fought against Portuguese colonization and was assassinated in 1973. The piece also includes images of Cape Verde's animals and plants, a typical street market, and the youth. The artwork includes a variety of techniques in acrylic and spray paint, and utilizes stencils of Cape Verdean traditional patterns that I created especially for this mural. It took 3 weeks to complete.
 "I swear to myself that I have to give all my life, all my energy, all my corage, all my capacity that I can as a man, until the day that I die, to the service of my people in Guine (Bissau) and Cape Verde, to serve the cause of humanity in order to make my contribution as much as possible, so that the life of mankind becomes better. This is my work." -Amilcar Cabral, 1969



Passarinho and albotroz

detail



detail

market scene and Dragoeiro tree